If someone fails any part of the following smell test, walk away.
- Do not trust someone who lies to you. Have they ever deceived you? Have you witnessed them lying to others?
- Their life should be an open book. Where have you been? They should answer without hesitation.
- Is there proof that this partner keeps promises. Trustworthy people do not feel the need to tell you what to think! “Just trust me” is not sufficient.
- Does this person display just and fair conduct with consistency? If you are not comfortable with their morals…
- Demonstrate being on your side and having your back-even in small ways. Does not operate out of sheer self-interest.
pp 235-237 What Makes Love Last by John Gottman, PhD and Nan Silver